Duck Rendang Roast
Duck lovers!! Have you ever tried making a Duck Rendang Roast? Made deliciously easy with Latasha’s Kitchen Rendang Terlagi Lagi Paste, a Bronze Medal Winner at the 2017 Australian Food Awards.
- 1 x 2 kg free range duck, from Wagin is preferable
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Rendang Terlagi Lagi Paste
- 1 tbsp Ayam brand coconut cream
- 1 tbsp palm sugar, grated
- 4 x lemongrass stalks, trimmed
- 3 or 4 chillies, split
- Few banana leaves, heat softened if fresh or partially thawed if frozen
- Rinse the duck inside and out then pat dry.
- Mix together Latasha’s Kitchen Rendang Terlagi Lagi Paste with coconut cream and palm sugar.
- Rub the paste in the cavity of the duck, under the skin and all over the outside.
- Allow to marinate overnight in the fridge uncovered, so the skin dries out as much as possible.
- Set your up Weber BBQ Kettle for indirect cooking or pre-heat your oven to 190˚C.
- Bring your duck to room temperature and stuff the cavity with lemongrass and chillies for extra flavour.
- Tuck the wings under and wrap your duck in prepared banana leaves and some aluminium foil. Don’t use too much foil because it stops the heat getting through.
- Place your duck on a roasting rack breast side up and roast for an hour on the Weber or 40 minutes per kg in the oven. Turn after 20 minutes for the juice to cook down through the bird.
- When cooked, rest the duck for at least 30-40 minutes before you tuck in.
- This recipe also works well with chicken or lamb shoulder.
- You can also use Latasha’s Kitchen Indonesian Turmeric Kari Paste for an equally delicious result.