Tomato Curry Simmer Sauce
This tangy tomato masala simmer sauce, is flavoured with sweet caramelised onions, fresh ginger and garlic along with the delicate blend of our aromatic Turmeric Spice Magic blend. An all-purpose curried simmer sauce and the perfect base to include in all sorts of dishes.
You can make this simmer sauce mild; by omitting the jalapeno or you can ramp up the heat by adding a couple of your favourite hot chillies; or even a few drops of your favourite hot sauce for some added kick!
For a richer sauce, add fresh pouring cream.
Ingredients − Serves 4
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 large brown onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, scotch bonnet or ghost chilli seeded and minced (optional)
- 400 g of cherry tomatoes oven roasted in a preheated oven set at 180 Celcius for 20 minutes until charred
- ½ tbsp minced fresh ginger
- a few drops of hot sauce (optional)
- 3 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Turmeric Spice Magic
- 2 x 400 g cans whole peeled Mutti brand cherry or baby roma tomatoes, roughly chopped and juices reserved
- 1 x 400 g can Ayam brand coconut cream
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped coriander
$17.90 – $214.80View / Buy Now
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil until hot. Add the onion and cook until caramelised for approx. 15 minutes with a pinch of salt. Next add garlic, jalapeño and ginger; cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened for about 10 minutes.
- Add Latasha’s Kitchen Turmeric Spice Magic and roasted tomatoes and cook until fragrant, 3 minutes. Next add tinned tomatoes and juices, coconut cream and sugar; and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the coriander. Carefully transfer to a blender, hold a tea towel over the top of the blender to protect yourself and blitz until smooth.
- Return this sauce to the same saucepan that was used earlier and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, approx. 15 – 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a couple of sterilised 360g jars.
- Use as a poaching liquid for basting sauce or chicken, shrimp, lamb, pork and vegetables.
- Add to pizza bases, tacos, stir fries, sautés and grills.
- Toss with salad greens, potato salads or serve over rice and dhal.
- Mix simmer sauce with chicken, vegetable or seafood stock when making a soup.