Indian Butter Cauliflower Curry
A perfect vegan recipe for a midweek winter special. With a couple of twists on a much-loved Indian Butter Chicken dish using my vegan FodMap Butter Chicken Simmer Sauce.
The chicken is swapped for a nutrient dense, whole cauliflower; which is plunged into hot boiling salty water with stems and leaves intact, to quickly tenderise it. Then its drained, broken into florets and slathered all over with a spiced coconut oil marinade; before being oven roasted until its charred. It is then added to a nutty rich simmer sauce and finished with tomato paste and coconut cream.
A healthy, filling and perfectly delicious dish that can be quickly made in under an hour using a couple of pantry staple ingredients.
Ingredients − Serves 4 to 5
- 1 whole large cauliflower, with stems and leaves
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Low FodMap Butter Chicken Simmer Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 200 ml Ayam brand coconut cream
- 2 tbsp good quality Cashew or Almond Butter Paste
- Sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Juice of ½ large lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- Olive oil spray
- Coriander leaves
- Chopped green chillies
$15.90 – $186.00View / Buy Now
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Place washed whole cauliflower inside and cook for 5 minutes stem side down.
- Drain, and leave to cool until easy to handle. Remove all the stalks, stem and any tender leaves. Break the cauliflower apart with your hands or a small knife, into small florets. Chop stalks and edible part of the stem. Keep any tender leaves aside separately, for garnishing.
- Pre-heat a fan forced oven grill at 200˚C. Line two large shallow baking dishes with foil and spray with olive oil.
- In a large bowl combine 3 tablespoons coconut oil, cayenne, 1 tablespoon sweet paprika, crushed sea salt, black pepper and Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala. Mix to combine then add the florets and stems into the bowl and toss well. Spread the marinated cauliflower in an even layer on the prepared baking dishes. Transfer to the oven and roast for 10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is just beginning to char on the edges.
- Meanwhile, heat a deep saucepan until hot, then add 2 tablespoons coconut oil and Latasha’s Kitchen Low Fodmap Butter Chicken Simmer Sauce, 1 cup water and heat for 5 minutes until it’s a little saucy. Next add 1 tablespoon sweet paprika, tomato paste, salt and coconut cream and allow to simmer gently for around 10 minutes. Stir the nut butter into the simmer sauce and allow it to dissolve, then set aside and keep warm.
- Remove the roasted cauliflower from the oven, keeping a few tender stems aside for garnish. Add the cauliflower to the simmer sauce along with any roasting tray pan juices. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly and comes to a gentle boil.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and honey. If the sauce seems too thick, thin with an additional ½ cup hot water.
- Garnish with finely chopped cauliflower stems and leaves, coriander and green chillies.
- Serve the Indian Butter Cauliflower and sauce over bowls of basmati rice, with naan breads, pappadums and sweet chutney.