Laotian Curry Chicken with Bamboo
Laos did not escape curries! This is a wonderful big pot of curry, that yields plenty of flavour with minimum effort. Great to cook in a big batch and enjoy as leftovers.
Curry is not typically considered a Laotian speciality. However as Laos borders Thailand and Vietnam amongst others; flavours are carried across the borders. Recipes are thus easily adapted with local ingredients.
I love making this version of a Curry Chicken; as you can vary the vegetables used from long green snake beans, carrots, cauliflower, eggplant or even gourds like choko and ridge gourd. Sometimes I even change the curry paste to my Thai Red Curry Paste and use paprika powder instead of the Turmeric Spice Magic to bring about a reddish colour. And of course you could also change the meat proteins to pork or duck.
Ingredients − Serves 6
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken marylands, chopped into chunky pieces
- 1 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Turmeric Spice Magic
- 3 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
6 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
3 cm galangal, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 lemon grass, white section bashed
- 400 ml Ayam coconut cream
- 4 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Madras Curry Paste
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1.25 litres water
- ½ cup bamboo shoots, sliced
- ½ cup garden peas
- ½ head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 medium carrot, cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 fresh red chillies, sliced
- Bunch of Thai basil, stem and flowers removed, leaves chopped
$113.40View / Buy Now
- Marinate chicken in Latasha’s Kitchen Turmeric Spice Magic for at least an hour.
- In a large pot, add oil, then Ingredients A and cook until fragrant and onions are translucent, approximately 12 minutes.
- Next add 200 ml of coconut cream and Latasha’s Kitchen Madras Curry Paste. Cook for 10 minutes on low until well combined.
- Then add in the chicken and brown in the paste for 5 minutes. Next add the potatoes, salt and all the water. Bring to a boil then simmer with a lid on for 40 minutes. At this stage add the bamboo shoots, peas, broccoli, carrots, fish sauce and the remaining coconut cream.
- Cook on gentle heat without a lid until the broccoli is cooked then mix through the fish sauce, Thai basil and sliced red chillies.