Thai Chicken Laksa
Ingredients (Serves 5 − 6)
- 4 x 180 g skinless chicken breasts, excess fat removed
- Aromatics: smashed garlic cloves, sliced ginger, thinly sliced shallots or onions, 1 tsp peppercorns, bay leaf, kaffir lime leaves, Thai basil leaves, ½ lime sliced, ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 3 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bruised
- ½ tsp turmeric powder, optional
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 1½ litres chicken stock (use the strained poaching liquid, top up with water if needed)
- I tbsp ﬁsh sauce
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 200 g cooked ﬂat rice noodles
- Lime juice to taste
- 1 − 2 tsp palm sugar, grated
- Coriander leaves, generous handful of Thai basil leaves, finely sliced spring onions and long red chilli
Method: Poached Chicken
Place the chicken in a single layer on the bottom of a pot. Scatter the salt and aromatics over the top.
TIP: The chicken cooks more evenly when it’s in a single layer.
- Pour in enough cool water to cover the chicken by 25 mm.
- Heat over medium until the water barely begins to simmer, cover with a lid and turn down to low. Cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 68˚C. Remove the chicken from the stock immediately and set aside to rest.
TIP: While the chicken is resting the internal temperature will continue to rise a few degrees.
- Strain the stock and use it in the laksa.
- Heat the oil in a wok or big pan over medium heat. Add the onion and gently caramelise it without browning too much.
- Reduce the heat and add Latasha’s Kitchen Thai Red Curry Paste, lemongrass, turmeric (if using) and cook, stirring, for 6 − 8 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the coconut cream and stock, bring to the boil then add the ﬁsh sauce and kaffir lime leaves, simmer gently for 6 minutes.
- Slice the chicken into strips.
TIP: If the chicken was cooked in advance and is cold, gently reheat in the laksa for a few minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and palm sugar.
- Divide the noodles between bowls, add the chicken and top with the laksa. Garnish with the coriander, Thai basil, spring onions and chilli.
Note: Based on a recipe from Donna Hay.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.