Slow Cooker Biriyani Capretto with Tomatoes
A beautiful dish best served with a fruity pilaf rice or steamed couscous with sultanas and cashew nuts. A side of colourful sauteed vegetables and a tangy beetroot raita makes a superb accompaniment.
Ingredients (Serves 6-7)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- Coriander stems and roots from a large bunch, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, bashed
- 2 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Biriyani Masala Paste
- 1.35 kg Macabee Capretto shoulder
- 1 x 400 g can Mutti brand roma tomatoes plus juice
- 1 small can Ayam brand coconut cream
- ¼ cup water (use to rinse out the empty cans of tomato and coconut milk)
- Generous amount of sea salt flakes
- 1 large carrot, quartered
- Juice of a lemon and coriander leaves.
- Heat a 5 litre slow cooker pot on the stove with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. I use the Kambrook brand. Layer the base of the slow cooker with onions, fennel, garlic, chilli, coriander stems and some salt.
- Allow onions to soften slightly then add Latasha’s Kitchen Biriyani Masala Paste. Mix well with the onions and cook for around 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Next add the capretto shoulder and allow it to brown on all sides for around 8 minutes.
- Then add in tomatoes, coconut cream and water. And arrange caroots on the sides of the meat.
- Add a little more salt, place the lid on and transfer the slow cooker pot to its main base.
- Cook on the low temperature setting for at least 6 hours.
- Garnish with lemon juice and coriander leaves.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.