Slow Cooker Brisket Madras
Try Slow Cooker Brisket Madras – a whole piece of brisket slow cooked in Latasha’s Kitchen Madras Curry Paste, until meltingly tender with amazing flavour.
Ingredients (Serves 12)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 1 medium fennel, sliced,fronds diced
- 3 cloves garlic, bashed
- 2 green chillies, sliced
- Coriander stems and roots from a large bunch, minced
- 8 spring onions, minced
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Madras Curry Paste
- 2 kg beef brisket
- 1 x 400 g can Mutti brand roma tomatoes plus juice
- 1 x 400 ml can Ayam brand coconut cream
- ¾ cup water (use to rinse out the empty cans of tomato and coconut cream)
- Generous amount of sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 banana shallots
- 2 potatoes, halved
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 2 turnips, quartered
- Fresh coriander leaves, fried onion shallots (store bought)
- Heat a 5 litre slow cooker pot on the stove with 4 tablespoons of olive oil. I use the Kambrook brand. Layer the base of the slow cooker with onions, fennel, garlic, spring onions, coriander stems and roots, chillies and some salt.
- Allow onions to soften slightly then add Latasha’s Kitchen Madras Curry Paste. Mix well with the onions and cook for around 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Then add the brisket and using two pairs of tongs, allow brisket to brown and caramelise all over, a process which should take about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with some fresh ground pepper.
- Then add in the tomatoes, coconut cream and water.
- Add a little more salt, arrange all the vegetables then place the lid on and transfer the slow cooker pot to its main base.
- Cook on the low temperature setting for at least 8 hours, turning the brisket over halftime.. At this point remove the vegetables to a platter, cover with a alfoil and reheat in oven before serving.
- To serve simply pull the meat or carve the meat and accompany with hot vegetables and gravy on the side.
- For a thicker smotther gravy remove meat to an oven proof platter. Pop meat into a hot oven set at 200˚C and roast for 20 minutes to brown all over. Meanwhile place the removable part of the slow cooker back onto the stove, crank the heat high and reduce the juice to a desired pouring consistency. Strain the gravy using a large metal sieve and serve on the side with the roasted hot brisket, reheated vegetables and thick slices of bread.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and fried onion shallots .
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.