TANDOORI SPICED DRUMSTICKS
This is a deliciously spiced chicken drumstick recipe. Chicken is marinated overnight with our tandoori masala and a few other ingredients. It is then roasted in a hot oven and grilled in the final minutes. Make a bright green coriander and mint chutney accompaniment which you can easily prepare ahead.
Serve Tandoori Spiced Drumsticks as an entrée with pappadoms and our tangy date and tamarind chutney which adds a lovely contrasting sweet touch.
Ingredients − Serves 6
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Tandoori Sauce/Marinade
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 3 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala
- ½ cup natural or pot set Greek yogurt, lightly whisked with a fork
- 1 tbsp organic ginger paste (store bought)
- 1 tbsp organic garlic paste (store bought)
- 1 or 2 long red chillies, seeded and finely minced (optional)
- Zest of 2 limes and juice from one lime
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 12 free range chicken drumsticks, skin on
- Coriander sprigs
- Lime wedges
Coriander Mint Chutney
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Green Coriander Sauce
- 2 large handfuls of English mint leaves
- ¼ cup of buttermilk, or more according to preference
- Pinch of salt
- Add all the ingredients into a hand blender or multi chopper and grind until smooth. Pour into a bowl.
- You can make this 2-3 days ahead and store refrigerated in a sterile container.
$18.90 – $113.40View / Buy Now
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the oil with Latasha’s Kitchen Tandoori Sauce/Marinade, sweet paprika and Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala. Cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently, until mixture is fragrant then turn off the flame and allow the mixture to cool.
- Once cool add the yogurt, ginger and garlic paste, minced red chillies if using, lime zest and juice, salt and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Then with a small but very sharp knife, make 2-3 slashes (depending on size of drumsticks) in each chicken drumstick.
- Place the drumsticks in the saucepan and carefully toss to combine well with the marinade. Transfer to a bowl, cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 6-8 hours or preferably overnight.
- When ready to cook – allow chicken to return to room temperature. Then pre-heat fan forced oven to 220˚C. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil (helps with cleaning up later). Then set an oven-proof rack over top. Spray the rack well with non-stick cooking oil or rub the rack really well with some oil using a paper towel. This will stop the chicken from sticking to the rack.
- Arrange the marinated drumsticks on the rack, leaving a bit of space between each piece. Spoon any leftover marinade evenly over the drumsticks. Roast for 45 minutes, turning once midway through, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
TIP: Turn exhaust fan on as the oven will get quite smoky.
- After 45 minutes turn on the fan grill and grill the chicken about 15 cm away from the heat source for approximately 3-5 minutes, until lightly charred and crisp all over.
- Garnish with coriander and lime wedges. Serve with Coriander Mint Chutney on the side (recipe above) and also with our tangy Latasha’s Kitchen Date & Tamarind Chutney which adds a lovely sweetness.