DAL MAKHANI WITH TRUFFLES
Dahl Makhani is a rustic hearty dish perfect for winter and cool days.
Made with whole black dhal, kidney beans and split chickpeas, it ticks all the boxes for the very essential B group of vitamins as well as being nutrient dense with proteins and fibre. This is a dish that is perfect for vegetarians and you can turn this recipe to plant base for vegans by switching the ghee for coconut oil and the pouring fresh cream for coconut cream.
I sometimes like to roast a variety of mushrooms and add as a topping. But for this particular version I have taken a twist and added some decadence in the form of shaved truffles and a liberal drizzle of truffle oil. Ohh la la it’s a flavour bomb in a bowl.
Ingredients − Serves 4
- 100 g whole black lentils
- 50 g red kidney beans
- 50 g split chickpea lentils (chana)
- 1 litre cold water
- Salt to taste
- 100 g ghee
- 5 cm piece of cinnamon, broken in half
- 4 cardamoms, lightly bashed
- 5 cloves
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, crushed to a paste
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, crushed to a paste
- Pinch of cumin and fennel seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 green chilli split in half
- 2 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves, crushed
½ can Mutti brand cherry tomatoes and juice
- ½ cup fresh pouring cream
- Drizzle truffle oil and shaved truffles
- Fresh coriander leaves
$18.90 – $113.40View / Buy Now
- Wash lentils and beans in cold water and soak overnight.
- Prepare a bouquet garni with cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- In a deep 3 litre casserole pot, add half the ghee. Then add half the sliced onions, ginger and garlic and cook 10 minutes till fragrant and caramelised.
- Next add bay leaves, green chilies, fennel and cumin seeds.Then add all the soaked lentils and beans, and bouquet garni.
- Pour in cold water, add salt and bring to a rolling boil then simmer until lentils are fully cooked.
- Remove the bouquet garni at this point and mash the lentils using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Meanwhile in a deep small fry pan, add the rest of the ghee, and when hot add the remaining sliced onions. Fry till golden and fragrant. At this point add Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste and ¼ cup water. Cook until the paste is fragrant then add fenugreek leaves and tomatoes. Pour the entire contents into the mashed cooked lentils. Add pouring cream and simmer on low heat for another 20 minutes.
- Check on salt and then drizzle liberally with the truffle oil and shaved truffles. Serve hot with Indian bread.