Persian style chicken stew with Pomegranate
This is my take on a popular Persian Chicken and Pomegranate Stew, which is slowly cooked with ground toasted walnuts and pomegranate molasses.
Intrigued, I developed this recipe using my Tandoori paste as the spices in the original version are very similar to my paste. The result was so tasty, and enjoyed by everyone who sampled it a recent demonstration. While the ingredients are unusual, it comes together really well and is a joy to make from start to finish. It’s a very nourishing and comforting winter dish. Serve with flat breads and a side of fruity pilaf rice.
- 1.2 kg whole chicken thigh fillets
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 2 brown onions, finely diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Tandoori Sauce/Marinade (Concentrate)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder or ½ tsp cayenne
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, split in half
- 1½ cups walnut kernels
- 4 tsp coconut sugar
- 2-3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- ½ tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala (optional)
- 100 g full fat natural Greek yoghurt, whipped with a fork until smooth
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Tandoori Sauce/Marinade Concentrate
- Seeds and juice from 1 whole, very ripe pomegranate
- Chopped coriander and mint leaves
$15.90View / Buy Now
- Combine all marinade ingredients and marinate chicken thigh fillets really well, for at least ½ an hour.
- Gently toast walnut kernels in a pan. Cool a little, then use a spice grinder to grind into a smooth wet paste with the coconut sugar.
- Heat ghee in a large vessel then add onions, pinch of salt and cook until onion caramelises approx. 15 minutes on low heat.
- Then add in Latasha’s Kitchen Tandoori Sauce/Marinade Concentrate, Kashmiri chilli powder or cayenne, a sprinkle of water and cook for 10 minutes on low. Add minced ginger and garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add walnut paste, mix until well combined then add the marinated chicken into the pot and coat chicken really well in the paste until chicken is no longer pink, approx. 5 minutes on medium.
- Pre-heat oven to 150˚C (fan forced).
- Add tomatoes to the pot, bring to a gentle simmer, then cover the pot with a lid or foil and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1½ hours until chicken is tender. Uncover and continue cooking for another 20 minutes to reduce the juices. After 10 minutes, check every 5 minutes to make sure its not burning at the top.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and any juice, chopped coriander and mint leaves.
TIP: Make a nutty, tangy, herb-based sauce by blending 1 tablespoon yoghurt with 1 tablespoon almond or cashew paste and a handful of fresh coriander and mint leaves. Pour over the top before serving and garnish with pomegranate seeds.