PEAR UPSIDE DOWN CAKE GLAZED WITH CARAMELIZED APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
A relatively easy cake to bake, made by my friend Maria Narayanan. Looks divine and is moist, delicious and surprisingly not too sweet. Our sticky honey golden caramelised vinegar, glazes the hot pears and seeps into the warm buttery cake, making it ultra decadent. Serve Pear Upside Down Cake warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream or thick cream for an unforgettable dessert.
- 100 g brown sugar
- 175 g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 ripe pears, peeled cored and cut into 6 mm slices
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 40 g almond meal
- 125 ml light yoghurt (TIP: add water to 3 tbsp yoghurt to achieve 125 ml)
- Latasha’s Kitchen Caramelised Apple Cider Vinegar, to taste
- Vanilla ice cream or thick cream to serve
$13.90View / Buy Now
- Preheat oven to 160˚C.
- Grease and line a 20 cm cake pan with baking paper. Sprinkle brown sugar over the base. Melt 75 g butter and pour over the brown sugar before carefully arranging overlapping pear slices on top.
- Using an electric mixer beat the remaining 100 g butter and caster sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. Sift flour and spices together and fold gently into the egg mixture with the almond meal. Stir in yoghurt and mix lightly. Do not over mix! Spread cake batter carefully over the pears.
- Place pan on baking tray and bake for 45-60 minutes.
- If the top is browning too quickly, cover loosely with aluminium foil.
- Cake is ready when a skewer poked into the centre, comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the sides, cover the pan with a flat plate and carefully turn upside down. Transfer to a cake stand or plate for serving.
- While still warm drizzle Latasha’s Kitchen Caramelised Apple Cider Vinegar over the top of the cake.
TIP: I use it generously as I like the refreshing tanginess and flavour it adds to the cake.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or thick cream.