Biriyani Masala Rice
Biriyani Masala Paste is a perfect blend of zesty spices for a making a Biriyani Roast, Biriyani Curries or Biriyani Masala Rice using either vegetables, meat or seafood.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 3 cups Basmati rice, soaked 30 mins, then drained
- 9 cups cold water
- 3 tbsp salt
- 5 cm cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamoms
- 1 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp shah jeera (black cumin seeds or caraway seeds)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 quantity cooked Biriyani Masala Curry
- few tbsp melted ghee
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced then deep fried until crispy/caramelised
- Generous pinch of saffron threads, crushed and soaked in ½ cup warm milk
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts, pan fried till golden brown
- 1 tbsp raisins, pan fried till puffed
- 1 tbsp rose water
Mix together in a bowl
- 1 cup each of coriander (leaves and stems) and mint leaves, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- Place drained rice and whole spices in a deep pot with water. Bring to rolling boil and continue cooking for 9 minutes until a grain of rice can be broken into 3 parts. Do not overcook. Drain rice well and cool on a flat container. Smear ghee all over a wide vessel, add half quantity of cooked Biriyani Masala Curry (reserving most of the curry sauce as gravy for serving) and spread out over the vessel.
- Spread half the cooled rice over this layer, pour ½ tablespoon of ghee over rice and add half the crispy/caramelised onions. Sprinkle over a tablespoon of the coriander mixture and pour about half the saffron milk over the rice. Spread the remainder of the Biriyani Masala Curry (reserving sauce) over this layer.
- Repeat above process for second layer and finally sprinkle over rose water, raisins and cashew nuts. Cover with aluminium foil and a lid. Cook in a 180˚C oven for 30 minutes. Leave to cool slightly, combine gently and serve with raita, kosumber and remaining Biriyani gravy.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.