Quick & Easy Malaysian Rendang
This rendang dish is easy with Latasha’s rendang terlagi paste concentrate. You can have a wholesome and delicious rendang in a hurry!
Please note that 180g concentrate makes 2kg protein for 12 meals. There are 6 tablespoons in every jar and one tablespoon feeds two people. The recipe below is for 4-6 people.
Suitable cooking methods and use
- In a heavy saucepan, heat 3 tbsp oil on low heat and fry 3 tbsps fresh or frozen grated coconut until nutty brown.
- Then add ½ the jar (3 tablespoons) of paste for 5 minutes.
- Add 1kg of chunky pieces of meat and brown meat for 10 minutes until it’s no longer pink.
- Add ½ cup of coconut cream or milk and 2 fresh red chillies, slit length ways, salt to taste and enough water to cover the meat.
- Bring to a quick boil, then simmer over low heat, covered with a lid, for length of time required to cook the cut and choice of meat until tender. Gravy should be reduced and thick.
- Garnish with lime juice, fresh red cut chillies, fried shallots and a couple tbsps of pounded toasted coconut.
- Make toasted coconut by using fresh frozen coconut defrosted and pan fried until it turns a nutty dark golden brown. Cool then either crush in a spice blender or use mortar ad pestle. Alternatively place the defrosted coconut on a lightly greased baking tray and baked in oven at a low temperature until golden brown.