Curried Chicken Pie
Add a touch of bite to your regular chicken pot pies with this delicious curried version. Invite friends around and serve these tasty curry chicken pies topped with golden crusts accompanied by a side salad. Any leftover pies freeze beautifully and can be popped straight into your oven for reheating.
Ingredients − Serves 6
- 1.6 kg whole chicken
- 90 g butter
- 150 g onions, chopped finely
- pinch of salt
- 300 g celery, trimmed, chopped finely
- 200 g leeks, chopped finely
- 200 g mushrooms, diced
- 1 green chilli, finely minced
- 3 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste (Concentrate)
- ¼ cup (35 g) plain flour
- ⅓ cup (80 g) sour cream
- ½ cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 sheets Careme puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
$15.90 – $90.00View / Buy Now
- Place chicken in a large saucepan with enough water to just cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 1 hour. Remove pan from heat. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove it from the stock. Reserve 1¾ cups (430 ml) of the stock to use at step 5.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- Remove skin and bones from chicken, coarsely chop chicken flesh.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan. Add onion, celery, leek, mushrooms, green chillies and cook, stirring until vegetables are soft.
- Add Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste and cook, stirring until fragrant. Stir in flour. Add reserved stock, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Then reduce heat, simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, chopped chicken and coriander. Spoon mixture into six 1¼ cup (310 ml) ovenproof dishes.
- Cut pastry into six rounds large enough to cover the top of each dish. Place pastry on top of pie and lightly brush with egg. Place pies on oven tray.
- Bake 10 minutes. Then reduce oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced) and bake pies for further 15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.