ButTan chicken recipe (video)
This two-minute video shows you how to make ButTan Chicken, using a deliciously addictive combination of my Butter and Tandoori concentrated pastes.
Our Tandoori paste is a highly-seasoned classic East Indian-style marinade, used to give food the authentic flavour of tandoor oven cooking. It’s handy and versatile to use.
Our Butter Chicken paste is one of the most popular products in our range. It has just the right amount of tanginess, spiciness and sweetness. Just add a large punnet of fresh overripe cherry tomatoes or tinned baby tomatoes, sweet paprika, almond meal, ground methi, yoghurt, lemon juice, pouring cream and unrefined sugar or honey to balance of all its incredible flavours. This people-pleaser is suitable for fussy eaters young and old.
For the marinade
- 1 kg diced boneless chicken thighs
- 1 heaped tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Tandoori Paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 heaped tbsp yoghurt
- 4 tbsp almond meal
For the Sauce
- Oil for cooking
- 1 red or brown onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Butter Chicken Sauce
- 1good quality tinned baby or cherry tomatoes (I use Mutti brand)
- 1 tbsp finely ground methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Juice of 2 lemon wedges or ½ a lemon
- ¾ cup full fat natural pot set Greek yoghurt, whisked with a fork
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tsp Indian jaggery, palm sugar or brown sugar, honey (optional)
- Bunch of chopped coriander leaves
- 1-2 green chilies, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tbsp finely ground almond meal
- Generous sprinkle of sweet paprika
- 1 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180˚C for 20 minutes.
- Place the chicken chunks in a bowl and add all the marinade ingredients except for the almond meal.
- Lightly oil a baking tray, place chicken in a flat layer, then sprinkle with almond meal. Bake chicken in a hot oven for 40 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, heat a deep saucepan with a little oil, add onion with a pinch of salt and cook until onion is caramelised,
- Add and cook for 2 minutes then add sweet paprika, and mix well.
- Quickly add Latasha’s Kitchen Butter Chicken Sauce and tomatoes. Combine well then cook for 8-10 minutes then add ground methi.
- Now add in the roasted chicken and all the juices and combine well. Simmer for 5 minutes then turn off the flame.
- In a large bowl, combine lemon juice with whipped yoghurt, pouring cream and Indian jaggery, coconut sugar, brown sugar or honey (all optional) for a sweeter flavour.
- Combine this creamy mix with the cooked Butter Chicken slowly so it doesn’t curdle.
- Garnish with chopped coriander, green chillies, almond meal, sweet paprika and Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala.
- Enjoy with rice, pasta, Indian breads, mash or steamed vegetables.
TIP: Leftovers make great Butter Chicken pies.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.