Boston Baked Beans
Ingredients − Serves 4 to 6
- 500 g dried cannellini beans
- 1 x smoked ham hock or 450 g bacon bones
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Chilli Oil
- ⅓ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Orange Chimichurri & Jalapeno Relish
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Zingy Tomato Chutney
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp Mutti tomato paste
- 1 x 400 g tin Mutti Cherry Tomatoes, blended to give 2 cups tomato pulp
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Latasha’s Kitchen Caramelised Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Handful chopped fresh coriander
- 12 slices GF bacon grilled in oven until crisp (optional)
$15.90 – $90.00View / Buy Now
- Soak the cannellini beans overnight in a large pot.
- Discard the soaking water and replace with sufficient fresh water to just cover the beans and ham hock.
- Simmer for one hour.
- Remove the ham hock from the pot. Discard the skin and bones, chop the meat into small pieces and return to the beans.
- In a bowl mix Latasha’s Kitchen Chilli Oil with Orange Chimichurri & Jalapeno Relish, Zingy Tomato Chutney, tahini and tomato paste.
- Add this mixture to the beans along with the tomato pulp, Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon mustard, Latasha’s Kitchen Caramelised Apple Cider Vinegar and brown sugar, stir gently to combine.
- Simmer for an hour or until the beans are tender and the sauce is reduced to a thick coating consistency.
Tip: Simmer gently, stirring often so it doesn’t burn or stick to the base of the pot.
- Serve in a bowl topped with fresh chopped coriander and crispy bacon, alongside crusty bread.
NOTE: Dried beans are a good sauce of iron and protein.