SLOW-COOKER MASSAMAN LAMB SHANKS
This slow-cooker Massaman Lamb Shanks Recipe is the perfect winter warming dinner. It’s a moreish dish with a spectacular depth of flavour and is sure to please everyone at the table. Tender, moist, impressive and worth the small effort in getting all the ingredients together and having a go. Best served with steamed rice and a tangy sweet tropical salad.
- 4 (1.5kg) trimmed lamb shanks
- Salt and pepper to season shanks
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved, then thinly sliced
- 2 whole garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and lighly bashed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 Royal blue potatoes, quartered
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Thai Massaman curry paste
- 1 red chillie, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup homemade or store bought chicken stock
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/3 cup roasted crushed unsalted peanuts, or use equavalent of Pic’s or Mayers Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 400 ml can coconut milk or cream, acording to preference
- 2 tsp crsuhed palm sugar
- Sliced red chillies, coriander leaves and fried shallots to serve
- Place shanks along with rice flour, salt and black pepper in a large snap-lock bag. Seal bag then thorughly shake to coat the shanks all over..
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook shanks, 2 at a time for 4 to 5 minutes until browned all over. Keep aside.
- Next heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in slow cooker bowl over medium heat at the stove. Add onion, garlic, lemon grass, cinnamon, star anise and bay leaves.
- Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add paste and red chillie. Then cook for 5 minutes on gentle heat until fragrant. Add pineapple juice, lime juice, stock and salt to taste. Add browned shanks and potatoes. Bring to the boil and keep on a gentle boil for 5 minutes.
- Then transfer the slow cooker pot onto its base, and cover with lid. Cook on low heat setting for 4 hours, turning shanks halfway through cooking and adding coconut milk, crushed peanuts and palm sugar at this point. Cook for a further 2 to 2.5 hours until lamb is very tender.
- Serve with garnishing ingredients and steamed jasmine rice.
if you have a slow cooker that you can brown the meat in like I do then the whole process is even easier as you can accomplish everything in the one pot from sealing the meat to cooking the onions and the rest of the ingredients in it. This dish works well with chunky sweet potato as well. If you prefer to use another meat, try beef osso bucco for an equally delicous result. If you have too much liquid, simply remove the shanks andpotatoes carefully, then place the slow cooker base on your stove and reduce to a thicker sauce.
If there is too much liquid at the end of cooking time, remove shanks, place the slow cooker pot direct on the stove (if the model you are using allows this) and reduce the sauce to a much thicker consistency.