Curried Mince Chicken
A simple curried mince dish with lots of vegetables (fresh fennel, spinach and tomatoes) that can be prepared with any type of mince meat and vegetable (eg green beans, carrots, cauliflower, silverbeet and peas).
Ingredients (Serves 5-6)
- 3 tbsp oil or ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- ½ medium red onion, finely minced
- 6 stalks spring onions
- 1 large fennel finely minced,including fronds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp raw cashews
- 2 green chillies, minced
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Biriyani Masala Paste
- 4 tbsp full fat yoghurt
- 600 g Mount Barker chicken mince
- 1½ cups frozen chopped spinach (Logan’s or Bird’s Eye brand)
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 150 ml of water plus an additional sprinkle of water
- Store bought fried onions (optional)
- Large handful of fresh coriander and mint leaves, finely chopped
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala (optional)
- In a deep saucepan, add oil or ghee, cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Then add minced onion, spring onions, fennel, garlic, green chillies and ground cashew with a good pinch of salt and cook until everything caramelises, approx. 15-20 minutes.
- Next add Latasha’s Kitchen Biriyani Masala Paste, a generous sprinkle of water and cook until the paste is matured and thick, approx 8 minutes.
- Then add yoghurt, a tablespoon at a time and mix in well with the paste.
- Next add chicken mince and fry the meat in the paste until every piece of mince is well browned. Mix through the frozen spinach, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil then simmer the curry on low to medium heat with a lid on for 50 minutes until the oil floats to the top.
- Then turn the heat slightly up and dry off some of the juice in the pan until the kheema is not too runny approx 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and mint, lemon juice, salt to taste and a sprinkle of Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala Powder.
- Serve with fluffy rotis, raita and kochumber salad.
TIP: I used a food processor and minced all the onion, spring onions, fennel, garlic, chillies and cashew at the same time.