Palak Paneer is a popular Indian vegetarian recipe. It is a delicious combination of Indian cottage cheese (paneer) and creamy spinach gravy; flavoured with a range of spices including ginger, garlic and garam masala.
For the best results and when you have the time, use my easy recipe to make the paneer yourself.
- 3 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 brown onion, crushed
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, soaked in water
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger paste
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies, seeded and crushed
- ½ tsp medium hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ½ tbsp ground coriander
- ½ tbsp cumin powder
- ½ tbsp fennel powder
- 350 g frozen loose cut spinach leaf
- 1 cup grated Chinese radish (daikon)
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 200 g homemade Paneer cheese or baked ricotta cut into 2.5 cm cubes, and lightly fried
- ½ cup water or more as required
- 1-2 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Lemon juice
- ¼ cup cream, whisked
- Ghee for drizzling
$22.90 – $137.40View / Buy Now
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add oil and fennel seeds, cook for 30 seconds. Add asafoetida, onion and fenugreek seeds and cook for 15 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger, and green chilli paste – cook for five to ten minutes.
- Add chilli, ginger, coriander, cumin and fennel powders and some salt to taste. Cook for a further 10 minutes. Add grated radish and cook for 5 minutes. Then add spinach and mix well. Sprinkle with ½ cup of water to keep the mixture loose but not watery. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then blend with milk and simmer on low heat.
- Add paneer, Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala, a pinch of nutmeg and lemon juice. Stir and cook for a few minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy. Stir through the whisked cream and drizzle with ghee.
PS: if you can find frozen fenugreek in an Indian grocery freezer section, add one or two cubes when cooking the spinach for an added flavour boost.