Mexican Flank Tacos with Simple Guacamole
Flank Steak Tacos with all the tasty fillings!
This recipe with its easy citrus marinade, works magic with soft tortillas stuffed with the most tender, juicy flank steak. You will end up licking your fingers and feeling like a Tex-Mex master. With its minimal preparation and maximum flavour, it just goes to show that rewarding family kitchen dinners, don’t have to be complicated.
Ingredients − Serves 6
- 1 kg flank steak
- 12 x 6 inch diameter corn or flour tortillas
Marinade for steak
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp roasted ground cumin
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup spring onions, chopped
- ¼ cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 cup Monterey cheese, shredded
- Latasha’s Kitchen Jalapeno Onion Relish
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, diced
- ¼ cup spring onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
$15.90View / Buy Now
- Place the flank steak in a baking dish. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together all the ingredients for the marinade. Pour over the steak, cover tightly with plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour maximum.
- When ready to grill, remove the steak from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature. Pre-heat your outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the grill grates with oil. Remove the steak from the marinade, shaking off any excess. Grill the steak for about 3-4 minutes per side, turning once, until medium-rare or to your desired degree of doneness. Remove steak to a cutting board and cover with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes then carve into thin slices, slicing across the grain.
- Warm the tortillas by placing them on a pre-heated grill for about 30 seconds, turning once (this step is optional).
- Place the sliced steak, warm tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, coriander, cheese, spring onion, lime wedges and Latasha’s Kitchen Jalapeno Onion Relish in serving dishes and let diners make their own tacos at the table.
To make the guacamole
- Using a fork, mash avocado in a medium bowl until chunky. Next add the chopped onions, coriander and lime then stir until fully mixed. Season to taste with salt. Place in a small serving bowl and serve with tacos.