Massaman Beef Sausage Curry
Massaman curry has complex flavours from ingredients including pepper, star anise, cardamoms, coriander, peanuts and coconut cream. Often cooked with beef or lamb it also works beautifully with chicken and pumpkin, sweet potato, eggplant and potatoes. Recently when I was bored with the usual ingredients, I cooked sausages in my Thai Massaman paste for an event. Result − I had people literally eating out of my pot.
Ingredients − Serves 4
- 2-3 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 500 gm lean beef sausages – I used British Sausage Company premium lean gf sausages
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- ¼ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Thai Massaman Curry Paste
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 x 400 ml can Ayam coconut cream
- 250 ml beef stock or water
- 500 gm baby new potatoes, halved or royal blue potatoes quartered
- 2 tbsp Pics peanut butter − crunchy
- 1 tbsp Mega Chef gf soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Mega Chef gf fish sauce
- 1-2 tsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- Juice of ½ lime
- 200 gm green beans, trimmed
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Holy basil or coriander leaves, chopped
- Fried store-bought shallots
$107.40View / Buy Now
- Heat oil in large saucepan on medium, add cinnamon stick.
- Place sausages in pan and cook for 5 minutes, turning until evenly browned. Remove from pan.
- Using same pan add onions and sauté for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add Latasha’s Kitchen Thai Massaman Curry Paste and curry leaves. Cook for 5 minutes with a sprinkle of water, stirring, being careful not to burn.
- Pour in coconut cream and beef stock and add potatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer with a lid on for 10 minutes.
- Thickly slice sausages into 2-3 pieces diagonally and add to pan with peanut butter. Simmer on low heat, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Season with soya sauce, fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice.
- Add green beans for final 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Sprinkle with holy basil or coriander leaves, fried shallots and serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.