CHILLI CON CARNE
Try this tasty and moderately spicy version of Chilli Con Carne. Made even more delicious by topping with a spoonful of Latasha’s Kitchen Eggplant Kasaundi or Zingy Tomato Chutney.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped or ½ tsp chilli powder or chilli flakes (add more if you like)
- 2 tsp cumin, 1½ tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp ground oregano, pinch cayenne pepper
- 750 g beef mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 420 g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup beef stock
- salt to taste
- Finely sliced spring onions, chopped creamy avocado, fresh coriander leaves, sour cream
- Latasha’s Kitchen Eggplant Kasaundi or Zingy Tomato Chutney
- Garlic sourdough bread, optional
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pan. Saute the onions and garlic over gentle heat for a few minutes before adding the capsicum and cooking until the onions are pale golden brown.
- Turn the heat up, add the spices and meat, cooking until the meat is lightly browned.
- Add the tomato paste, fresh oregano, tomatoes, beans, stock and salt.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until reduced to a thick consistency.
- Serve garnished with spring onions, avocado, coriander leaves and sour cream. Top with a spoonful of Latasha’s Kitchen Eggplant Kasaundi or Zingy Tomato Chutney, adjusting amount to suit your taste.
- Accompany with sourdough bread if liked.
Note: Based on a recipe from Margaret Johnson.