WHOLE CHICKEN SPICY ROAST
A double dose of our moreish satay flavours makes this chicken the ultimate Sunday Satay Roast.
We simply get organised the day before with this dish. Just marinate a whole chicken with 2 heaped tablespoons of our concentrate Malaysian Satay Paste, then oven bake it the next day drenched in our Malaysian Satay Simmer Sauce.
Ingredients − Serves 4
- 1 x 1.3 kg free range chicken
- ⅓ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Malaysian Satay Concentrate Paste
- 350 g jar Latasha’s Kitchen Malaysian Satay Simmer Sauce
- 2 lemongrass, 1 bashed and 1 finely sliced
- 1-2 red chillies, split in two
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 200 ml Ayam Coconut Cream
- Salt to taste
- 200 ml water
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- Coriander leaves, lime wedges and roasted peanuts
- Steamed jasmine rice and simple stir-fried blanched green beans, savoy cabbage, chargrilled corn and red peppers.
$15.90 – $105.00View / Buy Now
- Combine Latasha’s Kitchen Malaysian Satay Concentrate Paste and 2 tbsp of the coconut cream. Spread all over the chicken, cover and marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Remove your chicken from the fridge at least one hour before cooking.
- Pre-heat oven to 170˚C for 15 minutes.
- Using a large roasting dish with high sides, heat oil over medium heat. Add the lemongrass, chillies and lime leaves, and fry for few minutes until fragrant. Next add Latasha’s Kitchen Malaysian Satay Simmer Sauce, 200 ml water (use to rinse the jar out) and balance of coconut cream. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes, add salt to taste. Turn off the heat, add chicken and baste all over and inside with the sauce.
- With the breast side up, cover dish with foil and roast for 20 minutes in the pre-heated oven. Remove foil, turn the chicken breast side down, baste again all over and continue cooking for another 45 minutes or until done.
- Remove from the oven, allow chicken to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- Garnish and serve with the sauce.
TIP: If you prefer a crispy satay chicken; butterfly the chicken before marinating, then once it’s finished cooking in the oven, place it under a hot grill to crisp up.