Madras Sweet Potato and Potato Bake
A gorgeous melt in the mouth potato bake, guaranteed to be a keeper.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter
- 2 large brown onions, finely sliced
- ¼ fresh fennel including fronds, finely sliced
- 2 fresh tomatoes, sliced
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Madras Curry Paste
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- 5 large royal blue potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- 250 ml coconut cream
- ½ cup crushed Mutti tomatoes
- 100 ml water (use to rinse out the coconut tin)
- Fresh coriander or curry leaves
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Heat oil and butter or ghee in a large deep pan over medium heat. Add sliced onion, fennel and curry leaves and cook for at least 12 minutes until the onions and fennel have lost their moisture and are glazed in appearance.
- Then add Latasha’s Kitchen Madras Curry Paste and a generous sprinkle of water and sliced tomatoes.
- Cook for 10 minutes on low to medium heat, then add the potatoes and salt and stir to mix well.
- Add the coconut cream, water and tinned tomatoes and bring to a quick boil. Press down onto a baking sheet before placing in a hot oven and baking for an hour, until the potatoes are cooked but still firm and not falling apart.
- Garnish with coriander or curry leaves.
Note: For a nutritious nutty flavour add a can of brown organic lentils at Step 4.