Coriander Aubergines with Eggplant Kasaundi
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp urud dahl
- 1 sprig curry leaves, torn or shredded
- 2 dried chillies, broken in 3 each
- 1 tsp cumin seeds and ½ tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 green chillies, sliced
- 3 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 aubergine about 250g, cubed
- 1-2 tbsp grated jaggery or to taste
- 2 heaped tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Eggplant Kasaundi
- Bunch of chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a wok and add mustard seeds, urud dahl, curry leaves, dried chillies, and crushed cumin and fennel seeds. Fry until fragrant.
- Add chopped red onions, pinch of salt and ghee. Cook for about 10 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Now add in sliced green chillies, 3 teaspoons of Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste and cook for a few minutes.
- Then add 2 cups of water and bring to a quick boil.
- Add cubed aubergine salt to taste and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then lower the heat and allow to cook until soft. Approximately 20 minutes.
- Add the jaggery and tamarind sauce or lemon juice, stir well then simmer over low heat until the mixture thickens, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add 2 heaped teaspoons of Eggplant Kasaundi, mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.