Coriander Aubergines with Eggplant Kasaundi
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp urud dahl
- 1 sprig curry leaves, torn or shredded
- 2 dried chillies, broken in 3 each
- 1 tsp cumin seeds and ½ tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 green chillies, sliced
- 3 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 aubergine about 250g, cubed
- 1-2 tbsp grated jaggery or to taste
- 2 heaped tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Eggplant Kasaundi
- Bunch of chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a wok and add mustard seeds, urud dahl, curry leaves, dried chillies, and crushed cumin and fennel seeds. Fry until fragrant.
- Add chopped red onions, pinch of salt and ghee. Cook for about 10 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Now add in sliced green chillies, 3 teaspoons of Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste and cook for a few minutes.
- Then add 2 cups of water and bring to a quick boil.
- Add cubed aubergine salt to taste and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then lower the heat and allow to cook until soft. Approximately 20 minutes.
- Add the jaggery and tamarind sauce or lemon juice, stir well then simmer over low heat until the mixture thickens, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add 2 heaped teaspoons of Eggplant Kasaundi, mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.