Homestyle Shrimp Curry
This recipe one of mine has been reproduced with permission by Jane Teague in her Cranberry Goat Farm Alaskan Food Blog
- 1 kilo Alaskan shrimp
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seed, softened with warm water
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Homestyle Seafood Curry Paste
- ½ cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1 green, 1 red chilli slit lengthways
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Optional vegetables include 2 pieces of okra, 1 small long eggplant
- Fresh coriander or curry leaves
- Lemon or lime juice
- Coat shrimp in turmeric powder and salt and leave aside for about ½ hour in the fridge. Shallow pan fry when ready.
- Heat some oil in a wok and when oil is fairly hot add mustard seeds to splutter and crack open, then add curry leaves and the sliced tomatoes.
- Lower heat and add ½ jar of Latasha’s Homestyle Seafood curry paste (or a paste sourced in the Northern Hemisphere). Stir continually for 5 minutes
- Add ½ cup of water followed by the sliced green and red chillies and the fenugreek with its water. Cook for a further 5 minutes before adding any other optional vegetables along with the coconut milk. Simmer until the vegetable are cooked.
- Add the just cooked pan fried shrimp and simmer until the oil appears on the top of the curry.
- Add citrus juice, garnish with coriander and serve with rice on the side.
Jane Teague – Tok, Alaska
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.