Fresh Paneer Butter Makhani with Chickpeas and Peas
A tantalising, sweet, savoury and creamy dish best made with homemade paneer.
- 3 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Butter Chicken Sauce
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tin cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala
- 1 tin chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 500 g fresh paneer (fresh ricotta) cubed
- Salt to tast
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp methi leaves, crushed (dried frenugreek leaves)
- 2-3 tsp crushed jaggery or honey OR use ¾ cup sour cream and some honey
- 2 green chillies, sliced
- Coriander leaves
- Sweet paprika to sprinkle
- Prepare fresh paneer using our recipe or buy store bought ricotta or paneer from Indian grocers.
- Heat butter in a fry pan and add bay leaves, onions, garlic and cook 5 minutes on gentle heat.
- Then add Latasha’s Kitchen Butter Chicken Sauce, diced tomatoes, paprika, tinned tomatoes and garam masala.
- Bring to a simmer then add the rinsed chickpeas and frozen peas and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Next add the cubed fresh paneer and mix well, cook on a low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Slowly mix in the whipped mixture. Season with salt, pepper and ground methi leaves.
- Garnish with optional ingredients and serve.
Tip: You can use coconut cream instead of yoghurt and cream or sour cream.