Malaysian Satay Chicken Skewers
Latasha’s Kitchen Malaysian Satay Paste is a nutty, thick and spicy paste ideal as a staple in any pantry. Made with fresh lemongrass, ginger, garlic and chillies, and combined with warm roasted crushed peanuts and hand blended spices – this versatile paste is sure to please.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 1 kg chicken thighs, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 2-3 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1 quantity Latasha’s Kitchen Satay Sauce
Ingredients to be finely blended in a grinder.
- 5 shallots diced
- 3 cm ginger, sliced
- 2 tsp roasted peanuts
- 3 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- 4 cm fresh turmeric
Grilling and basting
- 40 bamboo skewers, pre-soaked for a couple of hours
- 2 stalks thick lemon grass, tied together. Crush the thicker end slightly and use as a basting brush.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup water
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken with all the ingredients including the finely ground mix from the blender.
- Mix well, cover and leave to marinate in a refrigerator preferably for 2 hours or more.
- Thread approximately 5 pieces of chicken on each bamboo skewer, making sure the tip of the skewer is not exposed. Satay can be made up to this stage several hours ahead of actual cooking time. Keep refrigerated covered with cling wrap.
- Prior to cooking, take satay out of the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Grill over glowing charcoal fire brushing and basting them lightly with a mixture of oil and water as they cook, this keeps them moist and tender. Use bruised lemon grass as a basting brush.
- Each stick will generally take about 2-3 minutes per side to cook. Satay can also be cooked on a lightly oiled grill pan, or placed under a hot electric or gas grill. Or you can roast them in a hot pre-heated oven set at approximately 200°C.
- Serve hot with Latasha’s Kitchen Satay Sauce for dipping, cucumber, raw onions, and pineapple slices.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.