Chicken Saag – Chicken in Creamy Spinach Sauce
- ½ Jar Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 3 fresh green chillies, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Salt to taste
- 1 kg chicken drumsticks, thighs or boneless pieces marinated in ¼ cup full fat yoghurt
- Water as required
- Garnish coriander leaves, sliced
- Green chillies (optional)
- Lemon juice
Ingredients for Saag
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 brown onion
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 box Logan’s chopped leaf spinach
- 400 g Chinese daikon, grated
- 90 ml water + enough to cover spinach
- ½ cup fresh milk
- ¼ cup fresh cream
- Coriander leaves and sliced chilies for garnish
Method to make the Meat Curry
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add green chillies, tomatoes, Latasha’s Kitchen Coriander Curry Paste and ½ cup water.
- Cook over low heat, stirring continually 10 minutes to release the flavours.
- Add the meat, salt and mix well to coat in the curry paste. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the meat is no longer pink on the outside.
- Add water to just cover the meat. Bring to a quick boil, then simmer with a lid on until meat is cooked through. If there is too much water after the meat is cooked, simply remove the lid and cook until most of the juice evaporates.
Mix the pureed Saag (recipe below) into this Coriander Meat Curry.
Method to make Saag
- In a deep saucepan, heat oil in a large saucepan, add 1 finely chopped brown onion, pinch of salt, ¼ tsp asafoetida, 1 tsp fennel seeds, ¼ tsp grated nutmeg and cook until onion caramelises.
- Then add ½ jar curry paste, 1 tbsp tomato paste and 90 ml water. Cook over low heat, stirring continually 10 minutes to release the flavours.
- Add 400 g grated Chinese radish/daikon, and cook for a further minutes. Then add a box of Logan’s frozen chopped spinach. Mix well for 5 minutes, add just enough water and salt then cover with a lid, and cook on low to moderate heat for 30 minutes or until spinach is cooked through. Cool slightly then using a hand blender puree the mixture. Add ½ cup fresh milk and ¼ cup fresh cream to help with the blitzing.
- Mix this spinach puree with the Coriander Meat Curry.
- Sprinkle over coriander leaves and green chillies to garnish, squeeze some lemon juice or pour some cream to serve. Adjust salt to taste.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.