Butter Chicken Lasagna
The classic Butter Chicken takes a twist with this Indian Italian Fusion Bake. You may be sceptical too, but don’t knock it till you have tried it. This recipe for Butter Chicken Lasagne was developed by Dhanya Samuel and forms the first part of a collaboration created as Latasha’s Kitchen Fusion Series.
Ingredients − Serves 6
- 500 gms fresh lasagna sheets (300 gms if using dry lasagna sheets)
- 300 gms shredded melting cheese (mozzarella + cheddar)
Butter chicken sauce
- 1 jar Latasha’s Kitchen Butter Chicken Concentrated Sauce
- 1 kg chicken thighs (skinless), cut into large chunks
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1½ cups water
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 250 ml natural yoghurt
- 150 ml fresh cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped (optional)
$90.00View / Pre-Order Now
- Marinate the chicken pieces with paprika, black pepper and salt for 30 minutes. Transfer to a cooking pot and add 1½ cups water. Cook covered till the chicken pieces are tender and juicy.
- Remove the cooked chicken pieces to a bowl and reserve the liquid in which the chicken was cooked. Shred the chicken pieces and keep aside.
- Pre-heat the oven (fan forced) to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot and add Latasha’s Kitchen Butter Chicken Concentrated Sauce, tomatoes and sweet paprika. Cook on high heat for 2-3 minutes till the tomatoes are broken down; add 1 cup reserved liquid and then simmer covered for another 5 minutes.
- Next add the shredded chicken to the sauce, mix well and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Whip the yoghurt, cream, lemon juice and brown sugar in a bowl till smooth. Add a portion of the chicken and sauce to this (to prevent curdling), mix and then add the whole mixture back into the chicken-tomato sauce. Mix well to combine; taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Also add the coriander leaves and mix through.
- Fresh lasagna sheets need not be pre-cooked before baking. But if using dried sheets, cook these in salted boiling water as per packet instructions.
- In an ovenproof baking tray, spoon some of the butter chicken sauce at the bottom and then layer up with fresh lasagna sheets. Continue layering till all the chicken sauce and lasagna sheets are used up. Finally top with the shredded cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Then remove foil and continue to bake for another 10 minutes or till the cheese has turned golden and bubbly.
- Enjoy with a fresh garden salad on the side.