Butter Chicken in Smoked Tomato Sauce
Butter Chicken in smoked tomato sauce? Why not indeed! This is a fantastic recipe I think you will all love.
Give this gorgeous tray-baked smoked butter chicken version a go and you won’t forget it in a hurry. Use the best smoked tomatoes you can find marinated in olive oil.
Ingredients − Serves 6
Smoked Tomato Sauce
- Oil for cooking
- 1 red or brown onion (finely diced)
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Butter Chicken Sauce
- 4 fresh tomatoes, diced or use a good quality tinned Roma tomatoes (I use Mutti brand)
- 250 g smoked tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Mutti Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp dry methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½ cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 kg boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp full fat yoghurt
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp finely ground methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 4 tbsp almond meal
- 200 ml coconut cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp Indian jaggery, palm sugar or brown sugar, honey (optional)
- Bunch of chopped coriander leaves
- 1-2 green chilies, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tbsp finely ground almond meal
- Generous sprinkle of sweet paprika
- 1 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala (optional)
$113.40View / Buy Now
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C for 15 minutes.
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Make a marinade with the oil, yoghurt, sweet paprika and methi, pour over the chicken, and coat it well.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper, place chicken in a flat layer and sprinkle with almond meal. Bake chicken in the hot oven for about 40 minutes or until the almond meal is slightly charred
- Meanwhile heat some oil in a large, deep saucepan, add bay leaves then the diced onion with a pinch of salt and cook until onion caramelises, approximately 10 minutes.
- Then add Latasha’s Kitchen Butter Chicken Sauce, diced fresh tomatoes, smoked tomatoes, tomato paste, sweet paprika, methi and mix well. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and reserve. Add the rest of the mixture into a blender and blend into a smooth sauce. Pour the sauce back into the same pot and return the bay leaves.
- Add the white distilled vinegar into the blender and whizz to rinse out all the remaining sauce and pour back into the pot.
- When the chicken is cooked add it and all the pan juices into the pot of smoked tomato sauce. Add coconut cream, lemon juice and jaggery and bring to a boil then simmer on gentle heat for five more minutes. Serve sprinkled with the garnishes.
- Enjoy with pilau rice, buttered pasta or cauliflower rice, mashed dutch cream potatoes and peas, medley of steamed vegetables or some fluffy Indian breads.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.