Butter Chicken in Smoked Tomato Sauce
Butter Chicken in smoked tomato sauce? Why not indeed! This is a fantastic recipe I think you will all love.
Give this gorgeous tray-baked smoked butter chicken version a go and you won’t forget it in a hurry. Use the best smoked tomatoes you can find marinated in olive oil.
Ingredients − Serves 6
Smoked Tomato Sauce
- Oil for cooking
- 1 red or brown onion (finely diced)
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ jar Latasha’s Kitchen Butter Chicken Sauce
- 4 fresh tomatoes, diced or use a good quality tinned Roma tomatoes (I use Mutti brand)
- 250 g smoked tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Mutti Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp dry methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½ cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 kg boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp full fat yoghurt
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp finely ground methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 4 tbsp almond meal
- 200 ml coconut cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp Indian jaggery, palm sugar or brown sugar, honey (optional)
- Bunch of chopped coriander leaves
- 1-2 green chilies, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tbsp finely ground almond meal
- Generous sprinkle of sweet paprika
- 1 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Garam Masala (optional)
$113.40View / Buy Now
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C for 15 minutes.
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Make a marinade with the oil, yoghurt, sweet paprika and methi, pour over the chicken, and coat it well.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper, place chicken in a flat layer and sprinkle with almond meal. Bake chicken in the hot oven for about 40 minutes or until the almond meal is slightly charred
- Meanwhile heat some oil in a large, deep saucepan, add bay leaves then the diced onion with a pinch of salt and cook until onion caramelises, approximately 10 minutes.
- Then add Latasha’s Kitchen Butter Chicken Sauce, diced fresh tomatoes, smoked tomatoes, tomato paste, sweet paprika, methi and mix well. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and reserve. Add the rest of the mixture into a blender and blend into a smooth sauce. Pour the sauce back into the same pot and return the bay leaves.
- Add the white distilled vinegar into the blender and whizz to rinse out all the remaining sauce and pour back into the pot.
- When the chicken is cooked add it and all the pan juices into the pot of smoked tomato sauce. Add coconut cream, lemon juice and jaggery and bring to a boil then simmer on gentle heat for five more minutes. Serve sprinkled with the garnishes.
- Enjoy with pilau rice, buttered pasta or cauliflower rice, mashed dutch cream potatoes and peas, medley of steamed vegetables or some fluffy Indian breads.