Malaysian Satay Chicken Lettuce Boats
These quick and tasty satay boats are guaranteed to liven up your weekend social get togethers. Create a quick stir fry with some diced chicken, coconut milk and peanut paste. Spoon into baby cos lettuce leaves to serve as an entrée or as part of a cocktail platter. Top with some crunchy roasted crushed cashew nuts and fine thin slices of extra red chillies for that extra hit of heat.
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil
- 2 tsp Latasha’s Kitchen Malaysian Satay Paste
- 1 tbsp water
- 300 g chicken thighs, diced into bite size pieces
- 100 ml Ayam brand coconut milk
- 1 long red chilli deseeded, and sliced into long thin slices (optional but looks great)
- ½ tbsp grated palm sugar or 1 tsp honey
- Pics or Mayer’s brand crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp roasted cashews, pounded
- 9 baby cos lettuce leaves, washed and arranged on 3 plates or on a platter for sharing
Here’s what you need to do to:
- In a small saucepan, add rice bran oil, Latasha’s Kitchen Malaysian Satay Paste, water and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, pinch of salt and mix well.
- Pour in coconut milk, half the red chilli and palm sugar or honey.
- Bring to a quick boil, then add a few tablespoons of crunchy peanut paste for a nutty flavour.
- Simmer until proteins are cooked and sauce is reduced to a thick consistency.
- Cool then spoon onto the baby cos lettuce leaf boats.
- Top with cashews and the balance of the red chilli.
Note: Serves 3 as an entrée. You can double the number of lettuce leaves so that there’s a stronger wrap to hold the filling.
Join Latasha's personal mailing list for delicious recipes, exclusive promotions and behind the scenes update direct to your inbox.